Happy Birthday, Melbourne!
We are among the fortunate ones to live in the “greatest city in the world” voted 7 years straight.
We love this city, from the food and coffee culture to the architecture, famous laneways and great shopping. But Melbourne’s biggest fan may just be the man at the gateway to the city: Andrew Gardiner.
If there’s one other thing he does well, it’s bringing “Melbourne to the airport.”
In honour of this glorious day, we thought we would drop these fact bombs about the city we love:
- Melbourne was originally named Batmania, after one of its founding fathers, John Batman.
- The ever-popular Australian sport of Aussie Rules Football (AFL) was invented in Melbourne.
- Under local Melbourne by-laws, it is an offence to drive your goat (or dog) harnessed or attached to a vehicle in a public place.
- It is also illegal to sing an obscene tune, song or ballad within earshot of another person.
- Melbourne has the highest number of restaurants and cafes per number of people than any other city in the world!
- Melbourne has the largest tram system outside of Europe, and the fourth largest in the world overall.
- Melbourne had the first gay and lesbian radio station in the world: Rainbow Radio.